Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Samurai Jana

The samurai sword began as a straight bladed, single edged weapon. By the end of the 8th century the sword curved, allowing for a swifter draw from the scabbard and a more effective cutting angle.


The katana is generally used for outdoor combat and early samurai would fight on horseback.


The most powerful samurai, known as the Shogun, would posess two samurai swords and a license to dismember anybody who offended him.

Jana may not be a professional, but from the look in her eyes, I'd watch out. Dangerous lady.
This shoot was a lot of fun.
David Barr was my lighting assistant, bearing the weight of the floor lamp on his shoulder and taking direction on pointing the light exactly where I needed it.
Justin Mann's knowledge on how to look bad-ass holding a sword proved quite useful since my knowledge on bad-ass-sword-holding-poses is limited.
Jana Diermann was a trooper in front of the camera. I gave her a black shirt of mine to wear and she jumped up on the couch, katana in hand and gave me her fiercest look. Rawr!
For the makeshift studio of Justin's apartment walls and light from a floor lamp, this is a shoot I would love to do again.


No comments:

Post a Comment