Friday, May 14, 2010

Junction Day 2

Sometimes I feel more like I am at summer camp than taking an actual class. I have been having so much fun!

We all crawled out of bed at 6:30am this morning to load up in the car and leave at 7:00am. Not 7:01 or 6:59, but 7:00 and Wyman is not against leaving someone behind. We drove out down Highway 377 and pulled off to shoot more wildflowers. Every time I look at a flower now, my 7th grade Wildflower science project comes to mind and I'm able to recall the names of the majority of the flowers in the field.

The flowers are gorgeous though. With all the rain, there are blossoms everywhere! Some fields look like they are on fire they have so much red and orange in them.

We had cereal on the side of the highway, each of us perched on a rock to avoid the prickly pear cactus. The weather got cold before it heated up. We stopped by Mason Mountain (where we will shoot tomorrow night) and while Wyman was doing some awesome PR work, all the photogs were either sleeping in the van or out shooting with their digital. I got some cool shots from there. I've always been a fan of wildlife photography.

The video class has been tagging along with us on these trips and shooting beside us, and shooting us! I can't wait to see what they put together in their class. Jerod Foster is teaching that class.

After getting back for lunch (pizza, salad and brownies) all the girls decided since it was so nice outside (yes, the weather finally cleared up!) we were going to go float the river. It was just gorgeous. The first couple of steps into the water and you were screaming "NO WAY, JOSE!" but after jumping on the tube and hitting a rapid all was fine. We floated for an entire hour, running into trees, rocks, shallow water, and each other and laughing the entire time. Wyman picked us up at the bridge and drove us back to campus. I sat on the tail of his pickup truck with Erin, wishing we had our cameras to get this as a shot. Oh well. I'm glad I've got a base tan and slight burn to build on now. By the end of this trip I'm going to be a little Mexican child.

At 7:00pm we all headed out to paint the Roosevelt Church. Tonight was so much better. Rain didn't hit us until after the light was gone from the sky. We took 3 shots total, 2 four-minute and 1 nine-minute exposure. I'm shooting both digital and film and I have only one cable release. So, I put the cable release on my film and hold down the shutter with my finger on the digital. 9 minutes is a really long time. I think I lost feeling in my finger during that exposure.

It did rain and Wild Dave and I ran out to grab a cup of coffee. Delicious and yummy, hot coffee.

Walking back to the cabin I had a good chat with the campus police officer. Very nice guy. He was trying to bike in the dark - being a champ at it too. But now it is time for bed. Gotta wake up early tomorrow. We're photographing cattle branding!

1 comment:

  1. It looks fabulous, love! I'm glad you are having such a wonderful time!!! <3